Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Believe That Drama...

Is so self-destructive.  And I don't mean going to the movies and watching a drama genre show.  I mean the Drama that some people just cannot seem to help but create in their lives.  What is that all about?

So, today started out just as any other normal day in our house.  We all got up at pretty much the normal time.  We ate breakfast, we brushed teeth, we verified that everything was in the backpack and ready to go.  And then, we remembered that it was picture day.  Oops.  The shirt that Ryan wanted to wear really could use a little ironing.  Guess I should have done that yesterday.  Well, needless to say, that started a small domino effect with the end result being that Ryan was about 10 minutes late for school.

Really not a big deal.  He's never late.  I think in seven years of attending school, I have only had to sign him in late one other time.  He hardly ever misses. 

Now, this could have been a major meltdown.  I mean really it could have.   And had it been a few years back, it probably would have been.  I've never been a morning person.  So, my emotions - and temper - are a little quicker in the morning.  And really who on earth does that benefit?  Absolutely no one. 

So,  few years ago, I decided to take better charge of myself.  For you see, you cannot change the things that happen around you, you can only change how you react to them.

I had a Child Development teacher in college talk about emotions.  And this has stuck with me for all of these years.  He explained to his totally packed 300+ students classroom that emotions are pure.  They are genuine.  They are not wrong or right.  They are just what they are.  What makes them wrong or right is how you react to them. 

Hmm, let that one sink in for a moment.

Emotions are not wrong or right.  Wow.  It is so very true. 

Back to this morning.  It could have been handled with some yelling and getting all worked up and frustrated with the fact that we were running late.  But what would that have accomplished, except to get us all off to a terrible start.  Instead we just did the best we could with what we had to work with.  And we both started our day off on the right foot.

And so I say - Drama - Who needs it?  Not me, that's for sure.

Now, I can't leave you with all that and not share a card now can I?  This is a Christmas card that I made while trying to get the creativity flowing for my upcoming class.  It is still in the running and may be made in the class.  I'm just not completely sure yet.  I received the order I was waiting for and will work on two project ideas.  Then will decide which of the final two cards will be included in the class.  Let me know what you think.




Stamp Set:  Loads of Love
Ink:  Chocolate Chip
Paper:  Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Real Red, Crumb Cake
Accessories:  Pearls, Chocolate Chip Satin Ribbon, Colored Pencils

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails