Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

A Magical Music Monday

It is only natural that I am dedicating this Music Monday to Harry Potter.  For a couple of reasons.  First of all, I just spent the last four days enjoying the marathon on ABC Family channel showing the first five movies.  I didn't watch them all in a row - and some of them I didn't even get to watch the entire movie of.  But that's okay, because I have seen them all before - many, many times.  And love them just as much this weekend as I did the first time watching them.  The newest installment hits the theaters this coming Friday and I know that is reason for the marathon.  I don't mind it one little bit.

Another reason for this choice - the original score for the Harry Potter movie is written by a man that has composed just about every memorable musical score for movies - at least in my opinion.  I have been a fan of his since I was a young child.  I am speaking of John Williams.  He has this amazing talent for writing music that helps to define certain characters or moments in those movies.  And every time you hear that particular grouping of notes, you are transformed to that moment or to remember that character.

If you are not familiar with his work - well I should say, if you don't think you are familiar with his work, let me give you some examples.  There are many more than this, I am naming the ones that were moments in my lifetime.

  • Jaws (1975)
  • Star Wars entire series
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
  • Superman (1978)
  • The entire Indian Jones Series
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
  • Presumed Innocent
  • Home Alone
  • Jurassic Park
  • Harry Potter 1, 2 and 3
  • The Terminal
  • The 1984 Summer Olympics

Just to mention a few.  Amazing body of works he has.  And, he tends to use some pretty unique instruments as main instruments - including one of my favorites, the French Horn.  Be sure to give a listen to Hedwig's Flight by John Williams on the Music Monday Pick of the Week area to the right before next Monday when it will be changed to another selection.



Coke & Books
 This photo was taken as an assignment for a photo class.  We had to work on a self portrait project.  Well, I do not like having my picture taken, so came up with an idea of placing a coke bottle in different situations in place of me.  This photo was taken to represent a favorite hobby of mine - reading.  And those are my Harry Potter books in the background.  At the time we were only up to number five - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails